Short answer:

Please read (carefully), the following documentation:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/appdev/deployment.html

Longer answer:

1. remove the docBase attribute from your Context

Your docBase would only work if you have a directory
$CATALINA_BASE/com.mycompany.myapp.

2. remove the path attribute from your Context

Rename your WAR file to myapp.war. Tomcat will correctly infer the path

3. Place myapp.war in $CATALINA_BASE/webapps

Tomcat (by default) will unpack and deploy your application

4. Remove the Manager node from your Context.

The Manager node relates to managing HTTP Sessions. The Hibernate sessions
relate to Hibernate units of work.

4a. Tomcat: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/manager.html
4b. Hibernate: http://community.jboss.org/wiki/sessionsandtransactions

5. Remove the Resource node from your Context.

6. Place the hibernate.cfg.xml file where it will be packaged in
WEB-INF/classes.

6a. In a NetBeans project, place it in <project-name>/src/java
6b. In a Maven project, place it in <project-name>/src/main/resources

7. Use a ServletContextListener to get a Hibernate SessionFactory.

Here's an example: http://community.jboss.org/wiki/UsingHibernatewithTomcat

I do things a little differently, by creating a utility class, and then using
that utility class in a listener. I can then attach logging and MBeans to the
listener.

. . . . just my two cent.

/mde/