> From: Markus Schönhaber <tomcat-us...@list-post.mks-mail.de>
>
> Yes, it is an  error. But in this case, I, too, consider the error erroneous.
> A status code  of 400 basically means that the request was syntactically
> b0rked. But, as I  understand it, that's not the problem here: the
> request is syntactically fine  - it fails because the server is
> misconfigured. Therefore a status code of  500 seems more appropriate to me.

Well, w3.org says:

"Error 4xx, 5xx
The 4xx codes are intended for cases in which the client seems to have erred,
and the 5xx codes for the cases in which the server is aware that the server
has
erred. It is impossible to distinguish these cases in general, so the
difference
is only informational.

The body section may contain a document describing the error in human readable
form.

Not found 404: The server has not found anything matching the URI given
Internal Error 500: The server encountered an unexpected condition which
prevented it from fulfilling the request."

I still vote for 404 :) (as if my vote matters) because the server is all fine
and dandy (the APP is misconfigured not the server), but the client is asking
for something not available. But the difference is only informational :)

Cheers,
JC