From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Jim Elwell
Sent: Wednesday, 30 January, 2002 08:54
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:17767] Re: Fwd: Euro vs. Metrication (was: Thinning the
list)

At 01:53 PM 1/30/2002 +0100, Louis JOURDAN wrote:
>At 15:30 -0700 02/01/24, Jim Elwell wrote:
>>Obviously my first email on this topic was not clear. I do NOT have a
>>problem with the Euro per se. However, I do not think the method by which
>>it was imposed is a good model for metrication the USA.
>
>Why, Jim ?
>
>The Euro has not been imposed on Europeans. They have freely chosen it.
>Directly, in countries where the Maastricht treaty was submitted to a
>referendum, or through parliamentary process....

There are two pieces to this:

(1) Would mandatory metric (i.e., required by law, regardless of whether
democratically approved or not) be effective in metricating the USA, if it
were to happen?

Yes, of course it would. It would be the *quickest* way to metricate the
country, so if you equate "quick" with "effective," then it is the most
effective.

(2) Why do I oppose it? Simple: there are more important things in life
than metrication. To me, individual freedom (i.e., the right to run one's
life and use one's property as one chooses) is vastly more important than
metrication.

To use a flip analogy, to me the issue is this: if you have a headache, is
it an effective cure to take a gun and blow your brains out? Well, you cure
the headache quickly, but you lose something much more valuable. An aspirin
is much slower, but in the long run much better.

*****
As I've stated before, I fully understand that many on this forum do not
see things this way (and some probably wonder what planet I came from). So,
I'm going to renew a vow that I have made before and keep forgetting: I
want to *make* metric happen, and am going to spend more time doing things
that will help, and less time engaging in philosophical debate on this
forum.

Those of you who are sick of the long debates, feel free to call me on this
if I forget it again.

Jim Elwell