--- MightyChimp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
Rowlett defines foot-candle as such:

> footcandle (fc or ftc)
> a traditional unit of illuminance or illumination...
Illuminance is now measured
> in lux;...
>
> It is an obsolete unit of illuminance and has been
> replaced by the lux...

Thanks, Euric, for the explanation.  Indeed, I noticed
their correct use of lux, but they seem to insist on
marketing this product by this hideous stuff...

>... You must contact this person and have him remove
at
> once the obsolete term foot-candle from his
> literature and stick completely with the unit lux.

I evidently agree.  I just need to contact my wife
again
and inquire more about this company for that purpose.

> I would think there is an error here as 2000 lux
> seems like a real bright light for a dental device.
> What is this device used for?  Recently I had some
> of my old silver amalgam filings replaced with epoxy
> type.  They used some type of science fiction
> looking type laser gun that emits a purple light for
> speeding up the hardening.  Is this what this
> product is suppose to do?  Or is this the bright
> light used to see into the mouth?

Yes, I guess that's what this unit is for (some curing
mechanism).

> The unit watts per square centimetre is incorrect as
> it is stated and should be expressed as watts per
> square m (W/m^2).  It is not proper SI to used
> prefixed units (other then the kilogram) in the
> denominator of a fractional expression.

I guess this is a legacy of old metric that used to
quote stuff by the centimeter.

> In reference to the use of watts per square metre it
> would appear to be a measure of how much light
> energy is striking a one square metre surface each
> second...

Yes... so it seems.  In any case, perhaps the
physicist(s) among us may shed some light on this
subject.  I do need a more technical explanation on
this  so that I can properly write my post to them.
Your first part addressed that, but I need some more
for the second part (his question 2).

> Personally, a product that can't use correct units
> or unit conventions is a product to avoid.  The use
> of old and obsolete units speaks clearly that the
> device is the product of obsolete thinking and is of
> no use in the 21-st century.

The only problem is that apparently MANY companies
that manufacture this type of tool seem to market
their product in such hideous fashion.

And I thought that dentistry was like medicine: fully

Thank you for your answer, Euric.

Take care.

Marcus

=====
Jesus ONLY settles for THE best, so
what excuse can you possibly give to NOT go SI???