 From: John M. Steele <jmsteele9...@sbcglobal.net>
To: Parker Willey Jr. <pawil...@pacbell.net>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: [USMA:53245] metric only labeling vs legacy measures labeling
requirements

The FPLA covers things regulated Federally.  It specifically requires dual and
metric-only would not currently satisfy the Federal law.  There is model
legislation, the UPLR, which States may adopt for items regulated by the State,
not the Feds.  The UPLR already is written to allow metric-only, and 48 States
have adopted it, or something close enough to allow metric-only, but ONLY on
items where net contents labels are regulated by the State not the Feds.

The FPLA generally covers all food items, UPLR covers consumer commodities used
outside the home.  There are detailed lists but consumer commodities used
inside the home are generally covered by FPLA.  Only Congress can change the
FPLA.