From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf Of
Paul Trusten
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 1:42 AM
To: U.S. Metric Association
Cc: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:53249] New York State--potential key to a U.S. metrication
advance

Article 16, Sec. 176 of the New York State Weights and Measures Law is a
virtual mandate in favor of the use of the metric system in that state:

The legislature hereby finds and declares that voluntary and orderly conversion
to the metric system of weights and measures is of vital importance to the
economy of the state. It is hereby declared to be the public policy of this
state to encourage the gradual implementation of the metric system throughout
the state's government, industry, commerce, business, education and
agriculture. This article is enacted in the exercise of the public power in
order to encourage such implementation and to provide a revised code of weights
and measures which will be responsive to the present and future needs of
commerce, industry and consumers. The legislature finds and declares that the
coordination and administration of this unitary regulatory system governing
weights and measures throughout the state should be, and is hereby, vested in
the commissioner of agriculture and markets and that enforcement of this
article by the counties and cities of the state shall be under his supervision.

As far as I know, there is no statutory bar to the permissive metric-only UPLR
labeling amendment to be adopted in New York State.  The matter seems to rest
with the Bureau of Weights and Measures, which needs only to adopt NIST
Handbook 130 containing the UPLR amendment to make the roll call unanimous.

However, UPLR is a state matter, and in this case, only residents of the State
of New York should write, call, or petition the following official in support
of the adoption of NIST Handbook 130:

Mike Sikula, Director, NYS Bureau of Weights and Measures
NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets
Bureau of Weights and Measures
10B Airline Drive
Albany, New York 12235
mike.sik...@agriculture.ny.gov<mailto:mike.sik...@agriculture.ny.gov>
tel:(518)-457-3146<tel:(518)%20457-3146>

The UPLR regulation is found in NIST Handbook 130, 2013 Edition, Sec. 11.33, p.
102:

11.33. Inch-Pound Units, Exemptions - Consumer Commodities. – The requirements
for statements of quantity in inch-pound units shall not apply to packages that
bear appropriate SI units. This exemption does not apply to foods, drugs, or
cosmetics or to packages subject to regulation by the FTC, meat and poultry
products subject to the Federal Meat or Poultry Products Inspection Acts, and
tobacco or tobacco products.

(Added 1999)

 Include this citation as well as the text of Article 16, Sec. 176 in any
letter, phone call, or petition. But, remember: New Yorkers ONLY, please!

Paul Trusten, Registered Pharmacist
Vice President and Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.
Midland, Texas, USA
+1(432)528-7724
www.metric.org<http://www.metric.org>