      From: Stanislav Jakuba <jakub...@gmail.com>
 To: Bill Hooper <billhoope...@gmail.com>; U.S. Metric Association
<usma@colostate.edu>
 Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:49 AM
 Subject: [USMA 291] Re: Puzzled

MJ/m:Well, I guess, there will not be the consensus. My take: The unit J/m
refers to a non-existing quantity and for that and other reasons it cannot
exist. The quantity "length" cannot have energy, be it in mm, m, or Mm. Nor can
an area (m2) contain energy. The sensible units are: energy per volume (J/m3),
or energy per mass (J/kg), and, of course, energy per time which we call the
watt (W).
The question is - how seriously should we take a scientific information that
repeatedly refers to a non-existing SI unit? What more can USMA do to help out
scientist get SI literate? Particularly governmental as has been the case here.
Stan