So... I probably should know this, but...
In my last post, I used an accented character.  I use KDE as my desktop
and Evolution 2.10 for email, and I spent about 10 minutes trying to
figure out how to *type* that accented character from my laptop
keyboard, and finally gave up.  I ended up cheating by cutting and
pasting that character from a web page!  So... how does one type, on a
regular US laptop keyboard, without restarting X, an accented character?
(Dons flameproof suit in anticipation of tons of "You dummy, I can't
believe you don't know how to do that!" responses)
--
Rubin Bennett
rbTechnologies, LLC

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
        -Ben Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759