Not positive if this is true for KDE as well, but on GNOME I have both the US and US-International keyboards configured, and activate the Gnome toolbar applet that lets me switch between them.

Then when you want something like é you just type apostrophe followed by e and you get it.

--
Tony Harris
Assistant CTO

Zhë dishthe shthál ñe lhôñ svóná záxá.
(The direct path is not always straight.)
PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for the designated
recipient only and may contain privileged, confidential, or otherwise
private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of an email
received in error is prohibited.