Rion D'Luz wrote:
On Wednesday 28 January 2009, Stanley Brinkerhoff wrote:
A friend of mine applied for over 120 jobs in 2006 and received 6 denials, 1
calls, and 1 interview.  Unfortunately its par for the course --
Which is not an excuse! I realize that's the way it is. I accept that, but if a
company is going to advertise to fill a job then they should allocate the
resources necessary to respond in a timely fashion to all respondents; even
those who fail the pre-screening filter.
Rion's comment caused me to chuckle because of the inherent logical conundrum. A company only hires if they are lacking resources, so they may well not _have_ the resources to respond in a timely and polite fashion, that's why they're hiring! Man, wouldn't it suck to have your first task at a new job to be calling all of the ones rejected and telling they didn't get the job?

especially with the breadth of resumes the internet brings to a job (we recently received ~100 resumes over the course of a week for a "director" position within my organization; about three from Vermont; the rest not even remotely relevant).
Tapping into the Internet as a resource to expand one's reach does not absolve,
but should rather increase one's need not to be rude. Anthony mentioned
harvesting resumes, that, to me, is like spammers but in reverse. To think it's
perfectly OK w/out honoring the fact that one is dealing with a human being who
took the time and initiative to respond is a) rude b) short-sighted c) no
different than being a spammer e) a sad sign of the times
My boss and I were discussing this a couple of days ago, he's trying to hire a personal assistant and has gotten 50-ish resumes already. He's rather daunted by the task of contacting everybody but one and telling them the bad news. Nobody likes to disappoint someone and it's one of those tasks that keeps getting put off forever.

It *is *rude not to acknowledge resumes and submissions to a company but it is the norm and will stay the norm until supply and demand reverse their current position. When a company only gets two applicants for a position and they both say "You didn't make a good impression, so I don't want to work for you", then behaviors will change. When there are 100's of people clamoring for the same job, then the hiring manager just goes to the next one on the list.

Paul Flint wrote:
Corporate is what corporate is -- and Logic Supply is probably following the
money, and doing so while supporting Linux on their platform, supporting
Vermont, and not routing calls to India.
Yet I hope that being in Vermont is more than this baseline. The feeling I get is that they could be located anywhere.
Stan is right, they're following the money and that's what they are supposed to do. They don't have to be located in Vermont, they could easily pick up and move. So what are we doing to encourage them to stay here? Has anyone invited them to speak to Vague about their products? Sounds like there have been a few purchases make by local folks, that alway helps.

   Rene

René Churchill                         r...@wherezit.com
Geek Two                               802-244-7880 x527
Your Source for Local Information      http://www.wherezit.com