You'll notice that Brad said he did send an acknowledgement of receipt for every applicant. For that matter, I believe we do too. But a quick form email saying "Got your resume" is a lot different than what I was hearing for feedback desired from the discussion here, where people were annoyed at not even being able to get an interview. I agree with Brad, it's just not feasible to send a "Sorry you didn't get the job" note to everyone who didn't, and certainly not workable to try to indicate to people why they didn't get an interview. In our form letter acknowledgement we give a time range in which we're planning to interview, and then we do inform those who got interviews but didn't get the job of that outcome. But those who got the form letter, if they didn't hear about scheduling an interview they should assume they didn't get one and move on. To be honest, it's been that way throughout my career, any time I've applied anywhere.

Tony