I would think that the bill has just been introduced.

It will probably see a few amendments. I think that it is correct in saying that State owned software should be Open Source, however, it puts a burden on all programmers working for the state to put in place, and maintain, an Open Source project.  For instance I am working on a project and partnering with the State of New Hampshire, but to open a repository that is accessible and editable by the public is something I am trying to avoid, because I am affraid it will become unwieldy and hard to control. If anybody has any tips on how to get this accomplished effectivly I am all ears.

As far as cfm goes it is ColdFusion.  At the Agency of Natural Resources most of our Web based content is written in ColdFusion, and our new boss decided to replace everything he can with $MS.Net.  I am in the process of converting huge Web application from Coldfusion to $MS.ASP.VB.Net.  I was very suprised that he did not go with Java, because ColdFusion is a comercialized/modified version of Java/JSP. Unfortunatly, it is my experience that everybody in ANR IT is locked into Microsoft, and anybody who tries to change that will deal with a lot of resistance.

There are a couple of Open Source ColdFusion Servers.  The most popular is Railo at: http://www.getrailo.com/.  The Smith project is another one that is not nearly as effective and seems to be in a state of Pergatory: http://www.smithproject.org/.

One more interesting tidbit is that MySpace is done in Coldfusion. They are probably the leaders in development and debuging of the ColdFusion Projects.

Cheers,

Andrew Tomczak

System Developer II

State of VT, ANR IT Department

Old Laundry Building

103 South Main Street

Waterbury, VT 05671

(802) 241-1043

https://anrnode.anr.state.vt.us/ssl/sga/index.cfm

On Fri Jan 15 12:17 , Richard Lawrence sent:

Wow! This is great news. Any idea where in the process this bill is?

Richard

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Andrew Tomczak ---- Act Locally.
Connect Globally. Burlington Telecom: It's Your Network.
<ajwsur...@burlingtontelecom.net> wrote:

> Check out what showed up in my email this morning:
>

> http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2010/Bills/Intro/H-516.pdf
>

>  Cheers,
>
> Andrew Tomczak
>
> System Developer II