Andrew,

Your post exposes one of the great myths surrounding FOSS, so I of
course am obliged to speak up and dispel your fear J

Open Source means that everyone has the right to read and review the
sourcecode.  It DOESN’T mean that you have to give up control of your
copy of the source code (e.g. the Linux kernel for example), or give
write access to your repository to everyone under the sun (in fact, that
would be a sure fire way to be sure your code was well and properly
trashed in a heartbeat).

FOSS only incorporates code contributions that the maintainers deem
appropriate and high enough quality to be included.  You only give write
access to your repository to those whom you deem worthy.  Further, the
meritocracy created by open code review and access means that if the
‘community’ tires of your being too controlling, they can fork their own
project off, give it a new name, and carry on in their own way.
Remember PHPNuke?  He released his project under the GPL, but then
yelled and screamed if anyone took the PHPNuke branding off their
website.  Eventually, the community tired of his rants, the project was
forked off and called PostNuke, and PHPNuke withered and died.

By opening the sourcecode of your project, you are really only allowing
free access to *read* the code.  The contributions you receive (if any)
only have to be reviewed.  You have complete control over what is
included and what is discarded.

You aren’t giving up anything in the way of control (at least, unless
you want to) by going Open Source.  You are only allowing code review
and potentially other projects to incorporate your code in new and
creative ways.

Cheers!  It’s Friday night, and rbTech closed on our new office building
today!

Anyone need ~7500 square feet of warehouse in East Montpelier?  We’ve
got it for rent… The biggest (coldest) hackerspace, *ever*?

Rubin

Rubin Bennett

rbTechnologies, LLC

80 Carleton Boulevard

East Montpelier, VT 05651

(802)223-4448

http://thatitguy.com

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

  Voltaire, Essay on Tolerance

  French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)