On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> [ Comments below, in line ]
>
> On Thursday 04 March 2010 at 4:59 am, Frank Mehnert penned
> about "[vbox-users] Closing this mailing-list"
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > we've decided to close the vbox-users mailing list as the traffic
> > is very low and the VBox forums at http://forums.virtualbox.org/
> > are a better place to ask related questions. Of course, before
> > opening a new topic you should search the forum if your answer is
> > already there.
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> It's a shame to do so.  I'll be bounded by the web interface for my
> interfaction.  So cumbersome.  Not that it matters but I doubt I'll
> transfer to the forums.  I don't like klunky front-ends.

+1.  i *despise* web-based forums.  why not just leave the mailing
list as is, and those who want to stay here can stay, and others can
move over to the forums.  is there any harm in simply letting the
mailing list carry on as is?

rday

p.s.  my major complaint with all of the web-based forums that i've
run across is that, when i have a question, a web-based forum
typically does *not* supply a solution.  rather, it supplies a
historical dialogue from the perspective of numerous people who
*think* they have the answer and argue endlessly while they eventually
*converge* to a solution:

"How do you do X?"
"Like this."
"Huh.  I tried that and I got this error ..."
"Oh, you didn't mention you were on distro Y.  Then I don't know."
"Hey, *I'm* interested in how to do X as well."
"Me, too!  But I'm on distro Z."
... etc etc ...

  and on and on and tediously on, where one reads the entire thread
only to hit the end to learn ... no one's figured it out yet.  in any
event, i'd prefer to stick with a text-only mailing list.

rday