> Just from the top of my head, wouldn't Apache 2 solve this? Doesn't it
> allow for different UID/GID for different virtual hosts?

Indeed, this was the holy grail of Apache 2.0 for shared web hosts.  Alas
2.0 came, and as of yet has not delivered.  Here's the relevant info:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/perchild.html

The Summary:
"This module is not functional. Development of this module is not complete
and is not currently active. Do not use perchild unless you are a programmer
willing to help fix it."

If they ever get this going, it will be a very happy day for many folks.
And I think you're right, this would help a TON with the whole php-vpopmail
extension issues.

Paul
--
Paul Oehler