> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:01:07 +0100 (CET)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I'm gonna setup a qmail mailserver for mailscanning for a huge
>> site... I have think that setting a qmail with qmail-scanner for real
>> time scanning could be too slow because perhaps could arrive there...
>> don't know 300 simultaneos mails.. so I think that could be better to
>> setup a qmail-mail-server that only does rcpt checks and mfchecks in
>> the Internet site and another qmail server not listening in internet
>> interface that makes mail scanning in a reasonable time and in a
>> reasonable number of simultaneous scans... (don't know 50
>> simultaneous for example...). The internet qmail server will pass
>> from for example 50 to 50 mails to scanning qmail server... and this
>> last to pass to they're respective mailservers... it's only going to
>> be a scanning mailserver...
>>
>> So I have think that I could compile qmail one time and copy to two
>> different locations for example /var/qmail and
>> /var/qmail-scanning-server... is this possible? and is this possible
>> without having two different vpopmails? two different databases for
>> smtp auth... (Internet qmail scanner will be relay too) two
>> differents tcp rules file... so could I share everything between them?
>>
>> What do you think about this idea have just had?
>
> I think you should off load the processing work. Look into running a
> remote clamd/spamassing, or setup multiple mail hubs jms has a guide on
> that at http://qmail.jms1.net

Not only that, but I would look into an alternative to qmail-scanner.
It's a great package (and the one I started using to do virus scanning way
back when), but the overhead of launching perl for each scan can be a
killer.  This is especially true if your concern is about lots of messages
at once.  I'd suggest looking at a compiled queue replacement program,
like simscan or qmail-scanner (I've used both - I currently use simscan,
but only because it's still being developed and I'd like to eventually use
it for spam scanning as well).  Also, if you don't do the virus scanning
at the initial SMTP level, you end up bouncing viruses...

Josh

P.S. One last hint: put you scanning directory on a ramdisk - it speeds
things up a ton!

Joshua Megerman
SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division
You can't win; You can't break even; You can't even quit the game.
  - Layman's translation of the Laws of Thermodynamics
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

!DSPAM:473322fd32009061814407!