just to make sure you guys know, the VelocityServlet is deprecated and
should be removed following the release of Velocity 1.5.  it's
replacement is the VelocityViewServlet in the VelocityTools project.
so if you have ideas for improvements or contributions, be sure to
make them regarding that servlet.  :)