agreed.  this is not my preferred escaping system either, but we can't
just go changing it now.  i can't think of any way to make such a
change backwards compatible.

the best that could be done (if someone is interested in doing it) in
1.x, would be to make escaping behavior configurable via a simple
property toggle, but even then, the current behavior would have to
stay the default option.