Here's what happened.

An employee made a mistake. We recognize that a mistake was made. It was
easy to see how a mistake was made since usually people in the community
who, when invited to an event we held usually give us photos that were
snapped at our events for free and it's easy to miss the copyright on
Flickr. Thomas Hawk, for instance, takes lots of photos at our events and
gives them to us for free since he's appreciative for the community work we
do.

We asked around what a photo like the one that we used by Lan Bui was worth.
I asked several professional photographers, the average fee was $300. Lan
was not commissioned to take photos and an employee made a mistake by using
a photo and not making sure we had the rights to use it before using it.

But Lan wants $3,000.

We have offered Lan something between those two prices which we feel is fair
($1,000 is the price I saw offered by PodTech CEO John Furrier, which is
more than 3x what most professionals in the marketplace charge for this kind
of work).

Lan wants $3,000. He believes his work is worth that and believes that there
isn't room for negotiation on this issue.

So we're at an impass.

I'm personally sorry for the whole way this thing has been handled, though,
and still would like to find a way to get the two parties to reach closure
on this problem.

I do want to make sure Lan gets compensated properly for his intellectual
property, but we want to reach a fair price and one that's based on what
professionals expect.

Robert Scoble

###