> Do you think that the Spanish tuning with a bourdon and upper octave in
the
> 4th course [gg'-c'c'-e'e'-a'(a')] is an early form of semi-re-entrant
> tuning? Or, is it more like an analogue to the upper octave strings in the
> lute's bass courses? Would it depend on whether the bourdon is on the
> outside or inside?

I think that the Spanish 4-course guitar may have originally had a
re-entrant tuning in the 15th and early 16th century but that composers like
Mudarra and Fuenllana needed a low octave string to increase the compass of
the instrument when writing polyphonic music for it.  Mudarra's note is an
instruction to the player as to how the instrument should be set up to play
his music.  Bermudo is simply describing it as he knew it without going into
details as to why the instrument is strung in the way that it is. He does
say he is not sure about some things!

> BTW, I notice that LeRoy's tuning chart (end of Book I -- Brown 1551/3)
> shows no sign of an upper octave in the 4th course. I guess that does not
> preclude an octave string, however. Maybe the same goes for tunings given
in
> Praetorius. What do you think?

As far as the French repertoire we are completely in the dark as none of the
sources as far as I know explain clearly how the instrument is strung.  The
chart in Leroy is really just a way of checking whether the instrument is in
tune. The first part could be unisons and the last part octaves;  if the
middle section is meant to be unisons this would imply a high octave string
on the 4th course - I think (it's a bit early in the morning)!  But I don't
think charts like this are a clear indication of stringing.  There was an
article in the Lute Society Journal vol. 26, 1974, p.17-23 - by Charles
Dobson, Ephraim Segerman and James Tyler "Tunings of the 4-course French
cittern and 4-course guitar" in which they try to re-construct the tuning
instructions from LeRoy's missing guitar tutor.  I think they conclude that
the guitar had octave stringing on the 3rd and 4th courses - but this seems
to me to be questionable.

> Tuning in Cerretto's treatise (1601) (the re-entrant ukulele tuning) is
very
> different from the pieces by Barberiis (1549). I've played over the four
> Barberiis "Fantasias," and the 4th course has a definite bass function in
> all pieces. I have not seen Tyler's 2003 article, nor that by Meucchi --
> thanks for the references.

This illustrates the difficulties in identifying instruments and how they
were strung.  I guess the same applies as with Mudarra.  Sometimes the
instrument had a re-entrant tuning, sometimes not - depending on the
context.

> I'm so happy all this has come up, because I am having a 4-course
instrument
> built, and I've not settled on a stringing plan.

I am not very familiar with the French repertoire but I don't think that a
high octave string is essential for the music to make sense.  The arguments
for using one would depend on the quality of the strings and any practical
problems attendant thereon.  This is something which is often overlooked.  I
believe there are lots of places where - unless you leave out the bourdon -
the dreaded 6/4 chords will rear their siren like heads.  However, since
every other chord in cittern music is a 6/4 and there is no way in which
they can be eliminated I can't really believe that guitarists would have
lost any sleep over them.

Monica

> Regards,
>
> Michael