Lex,

  Many years ago I made a battente for a customer (from Italy - talk about
coals to Newcastle) and recall having problems with getting 'authentic'
iron/steel strings (I used harpsichord wire from Thomas I recall up to pitch
(even as low as a tone below modern): the trebles kept snapping.  I put this
down to either better quality steel was actually readily available than
generally supposed nowadays or the wire strung battente was strung at a lower
pitch and/or had a shorter neck (as indeed some extant examples seem to
exhibit).

  I also understood (Eph Segerman's work, et alia) that the problems with
supplies of reasonably high tensile steel wire (ie the factory in Germany
ceased production in early 17thC) were amongst the reasons some thought for the
decline of the orpharion (not the Bandora tho' which had a lower string stress
on its highest course).

  Many modern copies of early wire strung plucked instruments seem to be strung
at v low tensions (again after early work by Segerman et alia) which makes
seems to make playing well in tune a problem.

  Have you a view on all this? I would be grateful to know the string length of
your battente, the pitch, the stringsand string tensions you are in fact using?

  regards,

  Martyn

Lex Eisenhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Dear Monica

As I understand this CS2 is from the late 17th c. It is hard to tell if -and
how- the mutual influence from cittern and guitar has worked out. It
certainly could be a subject where we guitarists could learn some.

>> I wanted to ask you if you played your wire string guitar with a
plecturm?

My battente is strung very lightly and is well 'strummable' with the
fingers. A Cd is going to be released a few weeks from now, on which I use
this instrument (by Sebastian Nunez) for song-accompaniment. Venetian songs
(1620-1640) and some Foscarini (on the Chitarra Spagnuola, of course).

> I don't think that campanellas are really an issue here. It seems to be a
> common mis-conception re-entrant tunings have something to do with
> campanellas.

I could not agree more. A whole generation of scholars and players have been
following the wrong star.

L.