To: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:40 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Any b-guitar repertoire in all re-entrant accepted by all?

  Dear Stewart,

  I think Carre is very doubtful as being fully re-entrant for reasons
  given earlier; in short, tunings probably lifted from Mersenne and
  possibly garbled. All French guitarists of this period were clearly
  heavily influenced by Corbetta (cf. his 'developed' French style as
  well as concordant sources) who advocated a bourdon on the 4th at this
  time. It's therefore prudent to assume Carre used the same ('French')
  tuning unless you've got firm evidence to the contrary...

  Monica's monograph 'Baroque Guitar stringing' (Lute Soc 2003) is pretty
  authorative; no doubt she will let us know her views in due
  course.  One thing she mentions on page 17 is Sanz's (well known)
  report about the practice of fully re-entrant amongst the best masters
  in Rome (especially listing Colista) but suggests such tuning might
  have been  used elsewhere in Italy. Looking at a few published books
  it's hard to come down clearly either way on the basis of internal
  evidence.

  A couple caught my attention which I've not seen mentioned (I think):
  - Carbonchi's interesting 1643 collection has mostly alfabeto pieces in
  the Italian collection and I suggest could be played equally with or
  without bourdons.  The french tablature pieces seem of two main types
  and with which we are familiar: strummed chords interspersed with
  melodic passages and treble and 'bass' settings but it looks to me
  after a quick strum on two guitars (one fully re-entrant, one bourdons
  on both) that with or without works equally well. I be grateful for
  views on this source.
  - Calvi's 1646 collection which also contains alfabeto pieces and
  intabulated dances which, like the Carbonchi,  I suggest are equally
  acceptable with or without bourdons. It has the usual sort of tuning
  chart but what might look like octave indications is I guess only a
  check for unisons or octaves ('Prova').
   I'm sure Monica will have written on both these but, off-hand, I can't
  anything - sorry!

  Martyn