Fuga Primera, por primer Tono al ayre Espanyol, the open G string in
   measures (counting from the tablaltura, and not counting the notated
   theme):
   5
   19
   23
   25
   (Note the open G in 24 is not a problem, even though its leading is
   very similar)
   In these cases, I simply cannot hear a logical leading into the lower
   G...  to my ear it desperately wants the upper octave G.  I can play
   that upper octave on the E string, but that's not how it's written.
   There are other instances of ambiguous leading in this piece (and many
   others) where either octave could make sense.  In those cases the lower
   octave is not a problem for me, and I find a careful emphasis makes
   those notes settle perfectly well into the piece.  But these cited
   cases just don't work for me, no matter how hard I try to hear it.  So
   far this is the only piece that troubles me in the Sanz books.  But it
   really troubles me...  I love it and want to fully understand it.
   Some people have suggested there's evidence that Sanz approved of and
   possibly used an octave-strung G course.  I'm not convinced -- Anyway,
   that just pushes the whole issue onto another course and really doesn't
   help solve this raging argument about stringing/playing the guitar.
   Any advice you can offer on this piece is quite welcome!
   Cheers           cud