From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Monica Hall"
<mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:18 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Return to earlier question: {was Re: Agazzari guitar
[was Re: Capona?]}

  But why you suppose that  Millioni  himself thought the
  4-course  instrument  referred to as "il Chitarrino, overo Chitarra
  Italiana" was a  small lute rather than  a small guitar is not clear.

Well - if it was just a small 5-course Spanish guitar why should he call it
Italian.   He must have perceived some difference between the two.   A small
guitar is usually called a chitarigglia which I believe is an Italianized
version of the Spanish guitarilla.

  I'm aware of the Vocabolario della Crusca reference. But the parallel
  in uncertainty may be likened to how the English called the small
  guitar a gittern,  which for many years contributed to a mistaken
  identification. Perhaps 'chitarrino' could mean a small lute or a small
  guitar in Italy?

That is what I am saying.

  Do you think the name 'chitarra' always needs the qualifier 'spagnola'
  before we can think an instrument is the larger 5 course guitar?

That is what Meucci in effect says and almost all Italian guitar books refer
to it in that way.   An exception is Valdambrini.

  But before getting too bogged down, the earlier question was whether
  the chitarra spagnola might be included as a continuo instrument, even
  by Agazzari.  You'll know 'Le stravaganze d'amore' of Corradi (Venice
  1616). This is an early 17thcentury source from a Northern Italian
  source and comprises songs for 'uni, due et tre voci' with alfabeto for
  the 'Chitarra alla Spagnola' as well as tablature for 'Chitarrone'.
  This source shows that this chitarra spagnola was tuned in a nominal e'
  top course ie the larger instrument. Since it is only a few years after
  Agazzari it certainly suggests that the instrument was at least a
  possibility to be included in his 'etcetera'  of basso continuo
  instruments even at such a relatively early date.

Well you can include anything in etc.   In fact the etc. comes after the
"viola, violino, pandora etc."   He has said that the chitarrina is not
capable of reproducing the bass line.   If my notes are correct (I don't
actually have a copy of the book) he says that wind instruments are not
used.    If the 5-course was a novelty
in 1589 how quickly did it become popular enough for Agazzarri to be
familiar with it.   You can of course assume whatever you want to.

Monica