On 02/01/2013 22:25, Monica Hall wrote:
Feel free to stir...Certainly his 5-course vihuela was tuned to the same intervals as the guitar.. and this seems a bit odd because it is a vihuela without the 1st course rather than without the 6th course. But what about the story that Vicente Espinel added the 5th course? Doisi de Velasco claims to have known Espinel in Madrid.

He says is "What I have been able to discover is that it (the guitar) is a very ancient instrument in Spain, although having only four strings (I say four, although it should be understood that these may be doubled in unisons and octaves) and Espinel (whom I knew in Madrid) added the fifth course which we call the first." which is also a bit odd. An eye witness nevertheless.

Another of life's mysteries.

MOnica

Well, you like a mystery Monica.

I've read Susan Herre's piece in the latest Lute News. I don't think she addresses Meucchi's ideas.

Anyway, supposing the 'ancient instrument in Spain' is the gittern (maybe that's not right?) how did it get a body makeover and a waist in the 1550s and take off in a completely new direction as the guitar we now know - and yet get re-invented in its old body shape in the 1580s, but now called a mandore?

Stuart

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob MacKillop" <robmackil...@gmail.com>
To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: "Eloy Cruz" <eloyc...@gmail.com>; "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:57 PM
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Fuenllana

Can I stir things up by suggesting he was the first to publish 5c 'guitar' music?

Rob

www.robmackillop.net

On 2 Jan 2013, at 19:35, "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

Alas - I don't have Jacobs book either - too expensive.

Trawling through my own library it seems that Fuenllana was employed as a
músico de cámera by the Portuguese monarch D. Sebastião in 1574, and
therefore he was still alive and active after his service with Isabel de
Valois terminated in 1568.

1578 seems a probable death date but I don't think he can have been born in 1500. 1510 or later seems more likely doesn't it.

MOnica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eloy Cruz" <eloyc...@gmail.com>