Max Dyckhoff wrote:
[...]
I do have 'hidden' set, because I like to keep things around. :ls! shows that I
currently have about 550 buffers open. I know this seems like a lot, but we do
have a large code base!
[...]

Keeping things around is one thing, keeping them in memory is another. By using ":set hidden" you _tell_ Vim to keep in memory the _whole data_ of every single buffer you visited during the current session, which IMHO is a little overdoing it. By setting 'nohidden' (and 'autowriteall' if, like me, you want to be able to close a window without a cry for unsaved data) you'll keep in memory only the data of the buffers currently displayed in a window, and a few bits of info (such as last cursor location etc.) for other buffers. The data itself would be where it belongs -- on disk, from where it can be reloaded in a twinkling of an eye if you happen to re-edit some file you've already edited in the current session. Or is all your "large code base" on diskettes?

162. You go outside and look for a brightness knob to turn down the sun.