Max Dyckhoff wrote:
Thanks Tony,

A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
Keeping things around is one thing, keeping them in memory is another. By
using ":set hidden" you _tell_ Vim to keep in memory the _whole data_ of every
single buffer you visited during the current session, which IMHO is a little
overdoing it. By setting 'nohidden' (and 'autowriteall' if, like me, you want
to be able to close a window without a cry for unsaved data) you'll keep in
memory only the data of the buffers currently displayed in a window, and a few
bits of info (such as last cursor location etc.) for other buffers. The data
itself would be where it belongs -- on disk, from where it can be reloaded in
a twinkling of an eye if you happen to re-edit some file you've already edited
in the current session. Or is all your "large code base" on diskettes?

I agree that it's a little extreme keeping it all around, but I like having the
undo buffers for files I've closed recently kept around. This is either because
I accidentally close the last tab containing that file, or because I have marks
set in files which I use regularly.

marks are remembered in the viminfo file (see ":help viminfo") even when the file is not in memory, indeed even when Vim is not running. For the undo history it's not as simple.

I should note that the memory use of vim does still grow constantly (and
apparently unboundedly) even without opening new buffers, with '-u NONE',
'nohidden', and 'history=1'.

I'm not sure if the code base is actually large, but 8,000 source files
certainly seems pretty hefty to me. And thankfully no, our it isn't on
diskettes :)

Max

Thankfully indeed!

"I don't think so," said René Descartes.  Just then, he vanished.