On 6 Oct 2005, at 07:11, Samual Acorn wrote:

technically the ROM controls the system so mac OS is not an OS... its
a UI front-end to the system ROM.. (operating systems are supposed to control the
hardware... not just provide a UI) ... dont agree with me on that one?
there would be no need to patch a rom to be '32bit clean'  if it
did... since the updateable os would already be '32bit clean'...
there would also be no need to replace the rom to get macs that cant
use high density disk drives to be able to use them... since the os
would take care of this 'problem' by accessing the floppy controller
directly...

The ROM is a Basic Input/Output System that allows easier interfacing with the Hardware at a base level. It does control most of the hardware, but then as it's a chip on the board doesn't that make it hardware anyway?

I always thought the definition of an OS was the operating environment for a computer which allows software for that platform to run and interact with the user.

i also disagree about the best thing being the ability to run macos
since the 'os' uses a shared memory environment its not stable enough
for my uses.... one of the first things that happened when i first got
ahold of a mac was a crash resulting in a window whos only clickable
button was 'restart'.....  my first thought was 'hmm.. smells like
windows 98'

People wonder why I don't like System 7. Now you all know why :o)

this is just my take on the matter... not ment as an offence...

The only reason I use a Mac on a regular basis is because both my regular use machines are running OS X. I used to carry a laptop around with 9.1 on it and it constantly drove me around the bend. Classic Mac OS has it's charms, but it's not that great, really. The best bit of old Macs is definitely the hardware!

true this, but isnt the fun part about old computers in getting them
to do things that they were considered obsolete and incapable of
doing?

Oh yeh, I had a 40GB ATA hard disk in my 840av at one time ;o)

why else would there be a linux port to the mac in the works?

It's out for mac68k and available - it has been for at least a year AFAIK.

...i guess this can be taken in a 'computers are like cars' analogy..
most just want them to 'work' and they dont care how... and when the
car breaks its taken to a matinence center for repair
but there are the others that like to know -exactly- whats going on
under the hood and are always trying to think of a new way to make it
faster/better/more efficient....im the type that enjoys the mechanical ballet...

I make a living from that very fact, ironically at a car spares and repair garage ;o) Oh but you forgot the class of people who think they know but actually don't know at all - they are probably the worst!

btw if you think the best thing an m86k can do is run macos then i
take it youve never seen the commodore amiga...

I don't think anyone said that did they? However as a person who has 2 machines running AmigaOS 3.9 and a third in the pipeline I do agree there are better OSs out there for the 68k platform. Trouble is that of the 2 that spring to mind neither will run on a Mac.

the thing about linux is the UI can be as 'user friendly' as you want
it... it can even look like macos itself (my linux system looks much
like the windows 3.1 UI)... and get the added benifit of being able to
run programs (after compiling them for your system of course) that
normally mac users have no access to..

But to do that you need X. X on a 68k Mac is not fun, especially in colour.

the lack of docs and a UI that i have yet to even find
an option to even make it 'show hidden files' let alone a console that
are giving me the frustrations and putting up the biggest challenge to
being taken apart... (those damn torx screws are a serious pain)

The Mac isn't impossible to work out it just speaks a different language. There are utilities out there that let you view hidden stuff and hack the Mac. Just look a the things you can do with ResEdit.

not about end user choice? (macos and macos alone?)
this is how they make me feel... apples 'os' on apples 'closed box'
hardware... no questions asked no options given...

apple isnt about supporting older hardware/software either...
i doubt the classic OS will ever see any improvements... (i wouldnt
mind something that could make that menubar 'autohide' tho)

You don't need Apple to cut down and improve Mac OS. You need time and patience and research. There are extensions, CDEVs and Applications that allow you to do that. Also removing unnecessary extensions, CDEVs, Control Panels etc. can vastly improve performance on older Macs. One neat trick I and many others did that made a very nice usable box was install System 7.1 and add extensions and CDEVs from later OSs. I managed to drop the OS 8.1 OpenTransport drivers straight in there for one thing - made connecting to OS X servers a bit easier ;o).

the price tag of OSX is a little crazy and the UI is.... weird (looks
like colored water droplets and clear semi-molten plastic....) but at
least its unix based (no more shared memory environment)

OS X is flat-out my favorite OS around. I haven't found anything as good yet. Any suggestions?

'quadra 950 introduced 1992 at $8500' (source; lowendmac.com)
-please- tell me you didnt buy that new..
after looking at the specs tho it would make a great webserver
(running linux of course) ;)

Or A/UX Maybe? Ever seen a Workgroup Server 95?

one question; what format exactly are you digitizing that audio as?
i dont think an ogg vorbis or mp3 encoder would be very speedy on a 68k
(if such even exsists)

Non-realtime MPEG encoders exist for the 68k but I haven't seen one around in a while. I may have one on the 840av somewhere though.

Oh and FWIW SoundApp was never designed as a MOD player :P

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>