On Oct 5, 2005, at 11:11 PM, Samual Acorn wrote:
'quadra 950 introduced 1992 at $8500' (source; lowendmac.com)
-please- tell me you didnt buy that new..
after looking at the specs tho it would make a great webserver
(running linux of course) ;)

one question; what format exactly are you digitizing that audio as?
i dont think an ogg vorbis or mp3 encoder would be very speedy on a 68k
(if such even exsists)

Sorry Sam, for the late reply - I've been away.

You made some good points but I still don't agree with you :-)

I did NOT buy my Quadra 950's new or indeed any of the Macs I own with the sole exception of my 12" G4 PowerBook. But loads of people did buy them new - and no doubt - thought they where the best buy on the market at that time :-)

Frankly I just like them - and at todays prices I don't really have to do much justification! I like mine with a five hard drive carrier, set as a RAID array (you don't need linux to do it). I agree they make a nice webserver (you can use MacHTTP to do that also without running linux).

I don't think you can even run linux on a Q950 because of the "undocumented" chips (I did look at this once). I would of thought that it was possible to reverse-engineer the ROM code to work out how to control the hardware. Maybe even replace the ROM with a simple one that uses the programable "OS" instead. But I guess that's too much effort for too little return. Which leads me back to my point that - given the difficulties - why not just use a PC instead for Linux?

My "audio" 950 has a AudioMedia II sound card and I run the Sound Designer s/w that came with it. It records in a file format called "Sound Designer II audio file" and these can be saved as AIFF files. However I have installed a Yamaha CD-burner in the 950, and can use Toast 3.5 to burn an Audio CD with these files which play on a normal cd player fine. Or I send the files over my network to my B&W G3 iTunes which recognizes the Sound Designer II files and can either play them direct or convert them to mp3's.

I did find an application that would batch process the mp3 conversion on the 950 but it takes a long time and the 68040 doesn't have enough power to play mp3's directly. Obviously it plays the the Sound designer II files which are stored on a RAID array of 4 X 9Gb drives without effort.

It sounds good to me - but this could well be that the analogue audio circuit techniques haven't always got better with time :-) So the digital side is "good enough", and the analogue side is pro quality.