On 20 Dec 2005, at 06:53, Gregg Eshelman wrote:

--- J Worgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can data and programs be sent via modem to
microphone input and recorded on
a cassette or reel to reel tape recorder?
<clip>

Easiest way would be to connect the TI's tape audio
out to the Mic in on a PC, then record as 44.1Khz 16bit mono WAV
files.

How sensitive is the TI to the speed of audio playback? I know from using the same CD or MP3 in various PCs and Macs that not all sound chips playback at accurate speeds. Also high-speed CD drives are a pain in the ass for doing that. You can't even rely on a CD drive to record and play the audio at the same speed, because it burns CDs in digital and plays them back in analogue, which on some CD Drives drops the drive to single speed, but on some they read the data in bursts and just feed it back at 1x speeds. My old CD separate plays Audio CDs 1-3% slower (as far as I can tell by ear) than my iMac for instance. I more readily trust the CD player as it's a single speed mechanism that was calibrated for CD playback (it's also the largest CD drive I own - if it were a PC mechanism it's be a half-height at least!).

I'm guessing the speed governs the baud rate of the audio transmission so it'd be at least semi-critical. It's just a thought I struck on from playing with tapes of BBC Micro programs back in 'the day'.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>