On 10 Jan 2006, at 13:38, Allan Hunter wrote:

I'd imagine things would be different for, say, a IIci that had a PowerPC card in it (I kinda doubt that System 6.0.8 and a PPC accelerator would've been real happy with each other) but usually it's the other hardware that makes a given Mac incompatible with an older OS, since instruction sets most often get added to, not subtracted from.

Systems prior to 7.1.2 have no PowerPC support at all. The other factor you kind hinted at is the CPU support itself. The 68k emulation on PowerPC machines is handled by the OS, not the chip so PowerPC support needs to be there in the OS for it to work on a PowerPC, 68k pure OSs won't run on PowerPC because the chip don't understand.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>