well... thats just it... when it comes to CRT displays it -can- be
anything... and (i know im not going to gain any friends by saying
this.. but i dont think i have any on this list anyway) the macs
'closed box' design pretty much meant that when one breaks that its
just time to throw it away ('appliance computers' as apple called
them)

now on to the repair (this applies with pretty much any CRT display so
this is the easy part)

simple fixes; im not familiar with SE video displays but there -might-
be adjustments for h-size and v-size (and position) on the inside...
just re-adjust...  they may not be labeled so you may have to get a
schematic tho this is doubtful... may also not be present... not sure
what to do there... (never seen a CRT display without height and width
adjustments... even TVs have them)

hight and widht may be on the top (or bottom) of  the deflection yoke
hidden under a white or beige 'cap'...

serious problems;
this can also be a hard-to-fix short in the CRT (tho doubtful) or a
tired flyback transformer (high voltage!) a failing HOT (horizontal
output transistor... biggest transistor in the CRT circuitry) flaky B+
('low' voltage).... or  partial short in the deflection yoke.... (just
to name a few possibilities.... i dont know what the display
looks/acts like so i cant narrow it down)

suffice it to say... try looking for and tweaking position/size
adjustments first... (try to avoid adjusting 'linearity'.. else you
will have one funky looking image)

--
--sam
http://mephitus.renamon.org/