On 19-jan-06, at 1:31, Martin Swartz wrote:

Hello, all -

In a previous (business) life I did a lot of support / hacking around
with Macs, mostly 1xx Powerbooks and the SE series. Those days are
gone. Now I have several questions to ask that relate to Classic Macs
as restoration projects.

In the corporate days, any one-piece Mac with flaky or failed video
was scrapped out. Today I have a Color Classic that exhibits a working
but shrunken video image. I've seen conflicting opinions about what
can cause this, ranging from "cathode ray tubes do this when they get
old" over to "the high voltage circuitry is going bad, not the CRT per
se".

What's the prevailing wisdom among this group? Can the analog
circuitry be tweaked? Does someone build "new" replacement analog
components for a reasonable price? Or is the answer "none of the
above"?

most of the times a shrunken size is caused by a broken capacitor. the capacitor could be short circuted or not connected. I suspect a electrolyth (the big ones) if the aspect ratio of the image is still ok (3:4) then this may be in the power section of the analog board. if it is only in one direction then look in the horizontal or vertical deflection sections. Measure in any way the voltage of the power supply and check with the service manual. because you still get a picture there wont be a transistor broken. look visually for burned resistors and check the capacitors in the neighbourhood. a visual good capacitor could still be malfunctioning.

--

met vriendelijke groet

Simon Claessen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]