On 1/19/06, simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> most of the times a shrunken size is caused by a broken capacitor. the
> capacitor could be short circuted or not connected. I suspect a
> electrolyth (the big ones) if the aspect ratio of the image is still ok
> (3:4) then this may be in the power section of the analog board.

That is -exactly- what is happening in this system.  I may replace all
of the capacitors on the power section, just as a proactive
maintenance step. The largest caps seem to be in the front left
quarter of the analog board, as viewed from the rear or the Mac. Is
this the right area?  (I'll do some googling this weekend and
hopefully find a service manual online.)

Thanks to all who have responded, I appreciate your input. I -knew- I
had come to the right place!

- Marty