I confess that, before I read this message, I was not even aware that
TurboVNC could do XDMCP connections.  Good to know.

It appears that you are trying to use TurboVNC to connect to the same
host using XDMCP.  In this case, you can just use the X11 Image Transport:

  vglrun -c proxy {application}

You wouldn't need to use vglclient at all in that case, since VirtualGL
is sending images to an X server running on the same machine.

If, however, you are trying to connect TurboVNC to a different host
using XDMCP, then you would need to run vglclient on the same machine
that Xvnc is running on.  The way I would do that is:

  mv ~/.vnc/xstartup.turbovnc ~/.vnc/xstartup.turbovnc.orig

  Put the following in ~/.vnc/xstartup.turbovnc:

  #!/bin/sh
  vglclient -detach

  Now, use the vncserver script to start up your Xvnc session:

  /opt/TurboVNC/bin/vncserver :2 -query {XDMCP server}

Using the vncserver script ensures that the Xauth file and such are set
correctly and that ~/.vnc/xstartup.turbovnc is launched after Xvnc is up
and running.  You can do all of that in your own script, if you prefer.
 The main thing is to launch 'vglclient -detach' on the TurboVNC X
display after you are sure that Xvnc is running.

Also, since you are compressing the images using TurboVNC, you would
want to disable image compression in VirtualGL.  Otherwise, VirtualGL
would compress the images on the 3D application server, decompress them
on the TurboVNC server, then TurboVNC would recompress them.  Thus,
you'd want a gigabit network between the TurboVNC server and the 3D
application server, and you'd want to launch VirtualGL using:

  vglrun -c rgb {application}

DRC