Unfortunately, in Ubuntu 12.10, they removed Unity 2D, and without Unity
2D, you can't run Unity in a VNC session.  Unfortunately, there is no
workaround that enables Unity to be used with TurboVNC on an Ubuntu
12.10 or 13.xx system.  The only workaround is to install the "Gnome
Fallback" window manager (sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback).
  TurboVNC will use that if it detects that it is available.  You can
also install a third-party window manager like Xfce and edit
~/.vnc/xstartup.turbovnc so that it uses the third-party WM.