Don't waste your time.  I've spent many many hours on this problem.
It's not a bug.  It's just that, unfortunately, the developers at the
bleeding edge have mandated that "thou must have OpenGL" in order to run
the latest & greatest window managers, and the reality seems to be that
"thou must also have hardware-accelerated OpenGL".  Not only do you need
H/W acceleration in order to achieve any kind of decent performance with
the WM, but I don't think compiz even works with Mesa ... or at least, I
was never able to make it work.  The latest version of VirtualGL (2.3.3)
can run compiz, but this support is still very experimental, and I do
not recommend it for any kind of mission-critical deployment.

Basically any distribution other than Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 should work
great.  Our project is geared toward enterprise deployments, so we
really try to focus on the "enterprise" distributions-- SuSE Enterprise,
Red Hat/CentOS Enterprise, and Ubuntu LTS.  Most people who deploy
VirtualGL/TurboVNC commercially use one of those (with RHEL being, by
far, the most used of the three.)  Also, as previously stated, you can
run XFCE or another 3rd-party WM under Ubuntu 12.10+, and that works
great as well.  You just can't run Unity 3D.

We are not the only X proxy vendor who is running headlong into this
issue.  There are some commercial implementations that are struggling
with how to address this as well.  Also, TigerVNC currently exhibits the
same issue, even though they have a built-in software OpenGL renderer.
It's actually worse, in fact.  With TigerVNC, the entire desktop image
is inverted, in addition to having no menus.  It's going to be
interesting to see what Red Hat does for RHEL 7.  They'll either have to
solve this problem or continue shipping a 2D WM that can be used with
TigerVNC.