Well, gee, that makes a lot more sense.  Dean, if you're reading this,
the last column in that chart I sent you a year ago should read "3.5
million" and not "10 million."  :|

I made a note about that in the usage screen of GLXspheres.  I think I
should further modify it so that it allows the sphere count to be
adjusted.  It was kept static in order to guarantee that the same image
was always generated.

Note that there are actually 61 spheres in the default configuration (20
per ring + the 1 in the center), so apparently the polygon limit is
around 60,000 per sphere.  It might simply be that the polygon count is
clamped to a 16-bit value or something.