On 10/2/14 11:44 PM, DRC wrote:
> To pop the stack on the original poster's questions, at the OpenGL
> level, you can get linear or even super-linear scaling of the GPU
> resource among multiple users.  If I run 5 sessions of GLXspheres at a
> time, each will perform at about 200 million quads/second.  If I run 10,
> each will perform at about 100 million quads/second.  If each user is
> working with a 1-million-polygon model, then that's over 30 users at 30
> frames/second.  Obviously there will be other constraints on this in a
> real-world environment-- VirtualGL and TurboVNC have some CPU overhead
> to compress/deliver the 3D images to the client, users might be dealing
> with larger models, applications that use a lot of textures won't scale
> as well because they'll exhaust GPU memory, etc.  However, you're also
> not going to have all 30 users banging away all the time.  Some of them
> will be down the hall, some of them will be reading e-mail, some of them
> won't even be in the office, some will be staring at the model and
> making small changes rather than manipulating the entire scene.

I should also mention that another constraint you'll have in a
real-world environment is reading back the pixels, and you may exhaust
your bus bandwidth before you actually exhaust your GPU processing
power.  But my point is-- people throw quite a few users onto their
GPUs.  Santos, one of our largest (if not our largest) installations,
provisions about 13-16 users per high-end nVidia pipe, although the
user workloads vary greatly (oil & gas apps run the gamut of everything
from straight 2D X11 all the way to monster 3D visualization.)