Adam,

I tried your suggestions.  I disabled the fast user switching and User Welcome Screen.
 The Remote Desktop was not turned on.  After doing this I rebooted my machine just to
be sure.  It still does not work, same results as before.

Does anyone have anything further suggestions?  Maybe some tcp/ip setting or something
that is incorrect.  I'm willing to try most anything.

Thank you,

Erica

Adam Pavelec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thursday, September 11, 2003 9:10 AM [GMT-5=EST], Erica W.
wrote:

> I am trying to use VNCViewer version 3.3.7 on an XP machine to
> connect to VNCServer on a Win2000 box. I am coming in through a DSL
> connection at my home. I have no firewalls setup on my XP machine
> but do have a virus scanner running. The steps I am taking are as
> follows:
>
> 1. Verify my DSL connection is running (get on the internet, check
> email, etc.)
> 2. Connect to my employer's network using VPN and verify I can see
> the machine I need using ping.
> 3. Run the VNCViewer (I have tried the listener and the app). I
> enter in the IP address and it comes up with a password box.
> 4. Enter my password - (I know it is checking the machine because if
> I enter the wrong one it says "Authentication Denied.")
> 5. Nothing happens - I do mean nothing. The VNC client seems to
> disappear and no errors pop up, no screens, nothing.
>
> I am at a loss as to what to do. All of the documention that gives
> help with VNC problems on XP seems to assume you are running XP as
> the server, not the listener. Does anyone have any suggestions as to
> what I should try next. Also, I am able to connect to the server
> using another WIN2000 box. I am pretty sure the problem is on my XP
> machine - but I do not know where to start.

Here are a few things I would try:

On your XP box:
1) Disable "Use Fast User Switching"
2) Disable "Use the Welcome Screen"
3) Disable "Remote Desktop"

To ensure the VNC service is available, you can telnet to your XP box on
port 5900. Upon a successful connection, you should see something
similar to "RFB 003.003"

-Adam