On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> He said nothing that "skeptics" did not say in 1990.

Please. My main argument is the complete absence of progress in 24 years.
No one argued that in 1990. I refer to your 2001 opinion that the results
fail to stand out, and to the opinion of the 2004 DOE panel. That McKubre's
claim of high reproducibility was premature. That in 2008 he admits the
absence of quantitative and inter-lab reproducibility. That the size of the
claimed effect has gotten smaller (and the number of publications
dramatically smaller), which is consistent with pathological science.

> Everything they said then and that Cude repeats now was promptly disproved
> by experts back then.

The best rebuttal would be better evidence, which never comes.

In the last decade, only a few refereed publications claim excess heat, and
only in the range of one watt. And nearly all the excitement in the field
is about experiments with completely unreliable calorimetry, many of of
them reported by companies looking for investment, headed by people with no
experience in science like Rossi, Godes, Dardik, Mills.

Cold fusion represents an energy density a million times higher than
dynamite from a table-top experiment. If it were real, it would not resist
protracted experiment for a quarter century. It would be easy to prove
unequivocally. It would not need to be defended by the likes of you, or
Krivit, or Lomax, or Carat, or Tyler, or Alain, or any of the other
groupies who have no background in science.

> My sense is that Taubes is sincere. He says this stuff because he is a
> scientific illiterate.

This from the guy who spent weeks two years ago arguing that steam cannot
be heated above 100C at atmospheric pressure.