Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:

> > This is often stated, but of course it's nonsense. Who could reject a
> > phenomenon that replaces fossil fuels? That powers a car without
> refueling?
>
> This is precisely my problem with claimed evidence for CF/LENR.

Read history and you will see that many vitally important discoveries were
rejected, sometimes for decades. Many important reforms were delayed, such
as the use of seat belts in cars. Projects such as the Transcontinental
Railroad could not get funding. History is full of disastrous mistakes and
bad judgement, such as the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

If it's a giant effect, how come it's so conveniently elusive?

It is not elusive. As McKubre says, it is neither small nor fleeting. It is
hard to reproduce, but once an expert succeeds and the effect turns on, in
many cases there is no doubt it is real.

> I was extremely impressed with the original Fleischman-Pons paper back
> then and was about to run out to order some palladium wire and liberate a
> few cm^3 of heavy water from NMR solvent shelf but then was amazed when it
> turned out how sloppy the work was.
> How could Nature publish this?

It was not sloppy. The calorimetry was confirmed by many other researchers.
It was shown to be remarkably accurate and precise. It has been replicated
by ~200 major labs, as shown in Storms' book.

> I kept watching the field since, and it's only gotten downhill.

I disagree. Reproducibility is much better than it was. The control
parameters for Pd-D are well understood.

> Some of the papers on LENR-CANR archive are just terrible
> beyond words.

In every field of science and technology some papers are good and some are
bad. That is also true of literature, art, and every other discipline. To
condemn a field because some of the people in are below average is tar an
entire group for no reason. This is guilt by association.

> Of course I've tracked Rossi as well, starting with what
> his students wrote about him on reddit . . .

Rossi is not a scientist. He is a strange person. His claims are difficult
to sort out.