Hi,

Sometime back there was a Vortex thread where we were looking at the
question of whether electron charge density might be play a role in gamma
decays.  A point in question was whether gamma branches in the decays of
solid radioisotopes might be affected by electron charge density.  A
counterexample that was raised was that there would then be a surface
affect that is not seen -- for example, if the surface area of a sample was
greatly increased, perhaps there would be more gamma activity in certain
radionuclides.  The suggestion to be explored (and, I think, disproven) was
that if the surface area was high, e.g., the sample comes in the form of a
fine powder, there would be more gamma activity, and if the surface area is
low, there would be less gamma activity.

Does anyone recall this thread?  I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Eric