On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

It must be one of the thousands that I deleted unread, however I wouldn't
> expect
> that sort of thing to affect gamma radiation.

Maybe.  But consider for a moment the decay of a [dd]* compound nucleus,
which normally follows one of the two strong-interaction branches, where it
breaks up, and very occasionally follows the EM branch, in which a gamma is
emitted after a long period of time.  Typically, I believe, such decays are
measured in ion bombardment experiments or in dusty plasmas and the
branching ratios are inferred from results obtained in such contexts.

In the ion bombardment experiments, I assume the incoming d+ ion encounters
the d atom embedded within the metal, but in a region of little charge
density, and you get the usual branching ratios.  (Or perhaps
experimentalists work backwards from their results, assuming the normal
branching ratios.)

Suppose for a moment that the electron charge density had an effect on the
branching ratios.  If the charge density is high, the supposition is that
the EM transition is heavily favored for [dd]* decay, but the momentum is
shared with one or more electrons, so that you do not get a gamma, but
instead one or more energetic electrons.  A problem with this thought
experiment is that it does not explain why gammas are seen in the decays of
radioisotopes with gamma branches; presumably if electron charge density
had an effect, you would not see sharp gammas peaks for such radioisotopes
but instead energetic electrons and associated continuum radiation.

Here a counterargument to the electron charge density hypothesis is that if
charge density was a factor, you might expect to see a volume/surface
effect.  The more surface area, presumably the lower the charge density at
the surface, and hence more gamma activity from the radioisotope.  The
argument is that this kind of volume versus surface effect is not observed,
so the hypothesis needs to be revisited.

The thought that I had to add to this discussion is that there need not be
a surface-volume effect for the charge density hypothesis to remain a
possibility.  Even if the gamma emitting radioisotope is embedded deep
within a solid, I assume the net charge around the nucleons will be
positive.  By contrast, if a [dd]* compound nucleus were decaying within
the dense electron cloud of a metal, it might be straightforward for the
surrounding electrons to overwhelm the 2+ charge from the two protons,
leading to a net negative charge density, even within the field of the
[dd]* nucleus.

Eric