Lennart,

I don’t wish to portray myself out as an expert on gravitry. I’m definitely
not. All I can say is that I have been interested in the subject for most of my
life. (I’m 62.) As such, it should not come as a surprise that I have come up
with a few eccentric observations. As a freshly minted retiree who is still in
training, I’m currently refreshing my education of calculus, so perhaps I may
end up doing some damage here before I die. With that disclaimer firmly in
place there might be certain visualizations I can offer up here that might help
make some of my points a little clearer to some. For example:

Let’s pretend there exists hidden underground somewhere in a secret base out in
the deserts of Nevada… a black ops program where they have secretly constructed
a gravity lens. (It’s probably next to a fully operational Star Gate device,
but that’s literally a different story. ;-) ) Ok… Now, our gravity lens is
basically in the shape of a large tube. It’ 200 meters long and 10 meters wide.
Lots of machinery is involved in running the contraption. Probably a lot of
electricity too. Perhaps the Lights in Reno flicker just a tad when they fire
up the tube. Let’s pretend that when the scientists finally got the device
operational they tossed a baseball into one end of the tube. They observed the
baseball shooting out at the other end 1.5 seconds later at the significantly
accelerated speed of 300 mph.  The Gravity lens operates like a cannon. After
additional experiments the scientists decided it’s time to get a human
volunteer to jump into the device to see what he experiences. One dark night,
under cover, they transport the machine outside and prop it up at a 30 degree
incline. They make sure the brave volunteer wears a parachute that hopefully
will deploy seconds after he is jettisoned. Fortunately, our brave volunteer
survives the experience of being the first human cannon ball jettisoned out of
the “barrel” of a gravity lens machine. Later when they ask him did he feel the
effects of acceleration he tells the scientists he felt absolutely nothing
during the 1.5 seconds he was still inside the gravity lens. He only felt an
acute sense of deceleration after exiting the gravity lens, after his parachute
deployed brining him safely back to earth, well... except for a sprained ankle.
(He gets a bonus check for his brave efforts.) So, why didn't our volunteer
feel any acceleration while inside the gravity lens? Read on.

Granted, our mysterious gravity lens machine is a hypothetical construction.
Presumably, we don’t know how to build one. That said, we can easily construct
something that can mimic the accelerator effects of a gravity lens. In fact any
gardener watering his lawn with a hose employs the trick all the time. The
following analogy might be considered crude by some, but still, I think it gets
the point across. Pretend our gravity lens device consists of a very elongated
funnel filled with water. A steady stream of water is being introduced at the
large end of the funnel. The water is subsequently being forced under pressure
to exit the other end where the diameter opening is significantly smaller. If
you insert a ball (with the same buoyancy as water) at the large end of the
funnel you will notice that as the object begins to travel down the length of
the funnel it moves at ever increasing speeds. It is in fact accelerating even
though within the medium of water immediately surrounding the ball - the medium
of volume remains perfectly still. Eventually the ball spits out the tiny
opening of the funnel travelling significantly faster speed than its initial
stationary position. Keep in mind all during this time the water surrounding
the ball remains relatively stationary. It’s as if the ball experiences no
effects of acceleration. Of course it really is experiencing acceleration, but
again, this is just an analogy.

A better analogy I’m trying to make here is that the volume of water is
literally being forced to accelerate in order to conform to the decreasing
diameter constraints of the funnel wall. It’s important to point out this is
acceleration effect is happening within the constraints of a slice of time held
at a constant rate. My analogy is equivalent to Nature essentially attempting
to compress (or funnel) gravity lines of 3D space due to the effects a large
nearby planetary mass. If nature attempts to compress (or funnel) the lines of
3D space, 3D “space” compensates by spending less time occupying the same AREA
of 3D space during the same unit of time. We actually see this phenomenon being
played out all the time in Kepler’s 2nd law of planetary motion, where an
imaginary line joining a planet and the sun sweeps out an equal area of space
in equal amounts of time. The closer the satellite is to the central body of
mass, the faster the satellite has to travel during the same period of time. It
is similar to water being forced to accelerate through a narrowing funnel
because the same unit volume of water is forced to spend less time occupying
the same area of space during the same period of time.

Nature knows how to accelerate things up as well as decelerate them. We see it
constructed in the elegant shape of an elliptical orbit. We have yet to figure
out how to construct something as elegant, and practically speaking at our own
human scale. I can only suggest that the amount of energy that may need to be
expended will likely be equivalent to the amount of energy being expended to
get a satellite in orbit. So... let's continue to hope for cheaper energy in
our future!

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

svjart.orionworks.com