Here is an interesting thought, if this did work to produce thrust that did
not act against the earth, then the earth would be moved in the direction
of the device due to attraction to the device (flying car) equal to the
weight of the object (it is attracted to the whole mass of the earth, and
the whole mass of the earth is attracted to it).

Since more of these flying vehicles would end up existing in the Northern
hemisphere, especially the US the earth would be set off course.

Not sure by how much but over time it would become significant, megatons of
force applied to one side of the earth for long enough would end up being
disastrous I am sure.