Note that there are many optimizations of carbonyl processing designed to
produce, in particular, long strand connected particles with high surface
area optimized for nickel metal hydride battery performance.  I suspect
that Rossi used a standard variant of this process that is available COTS.
It is well known that Rossi has a history of using the Vale T255 grade - a
jar of it was seen in one of his videos.  It appears that in the Lugano
fuel, the T255 was not used, but the Ni was probably another carbonyl
variant.

At high temperature (>300C) and in the presence of H2, the oxide readily is
stripped from the Ni particle surface and other metals readily wet to the
clean Ni surface.  As the temperature continues to rise, the liquid Li-Al-H
foams and froths as it releases its hydrogen.  All of the Ni becomes
quickly surface coated with liquid Li-Al-H.  Much of the fine nanoscale Ni
features dissolve in this metal and reach an equilibrium of Ni (~5%)
dissolving into the melt AND condensing out of the melt back onto the
particle surface.  There could be a type of "co-deposition" of the Ni
taking place with simultaneous deposition of Ni-H or with hydrogen anions.

Also taking place at the same time is the sintering of the Ni.  Wherever
particles touch, they will grow together, and pull together into a more
compact form.

There is a tremendous amount of alumina present in the form of tubes and
cement.  It is hard to ascribe the alumina particle as part of the ash - it
is probably just debris.

The same cannot be readily said about the iron particle.  Why such a large
particle would be useful in the fuel is not clear, nor is it clear what
happens to the iron in the liquid Li-Al (I am not a chemist).  Li and Fe do
form compounds such as LiFePO4.  Perhaps some percentage of the Fe
dissolves into the liquid Li-Al-H and enhances the liquid state reaction in
some way.  Perhaps it participates in the co-deposition on the surface of
the Ni to enhance the liquid-solid metal interface LENR reaction.  It is
probably naive to think the large Fe particles in the fuel are there by
chance, and probably also unreasonable to think they wouldn't dissolve in
the very active liquid metal environment.  Rossi is known to have used Fe
in his low temperature eCat fuel.

Bob Higgins