First off, it is Parkhomov who ground his Ni powder and LiAlH4 in a mortar
and pestle in preparation (observed by Bob Greenyer).  We have no evidence
that Rossi uses such a method.

When MFMP ran its first Parkhomov-like experiment the temperature was
increased to over 1000C, and was cooled quickly.  The SEM of the resulting
ash looked a lot like the Lugano ash.  I got a sample of that ash and found
it to be quite crumbly.  So, here was Ni powder heated with LiAlH4 and the
result was a crumbly physical agglomeration.  I suspect that if I just took
a wire screen sieve, I could just brush this bang! ash back and forth a
little and it would crumble and go through the sieve.  I don't think
grinding or ball milling would be needed to get it back to a powder-ish
form.

I will probably try this experimental means of fuel preparation.  I can put
the Ni + some amount of LiAlH4 in a crucible inside a controlled exhaust
container in my furnace and run it up to about 700C.  Then take out the
resulting charge from the crucible and try to crumble it though a sieve.

To the eye, even the 100 micron Ni particles would still have "looked" like
a gray powder.  There is no guarantee that there was any LiAlH4 added as
part of Rossi't fuel.  In none of the tests would the hydrogen have showed
- only the Li and the Al.  And, from the detected Li and Al it was inferred
that LiAlH4 was part of the fuel.  However, it is possible that all of the
Li and Al in the fuel may have been on the Ni to begin in the Rossi fuel
(from Rossi's pre-processing); and may never have existed in the Lugano
reactor as LiAlH4.

Bob Higgins