Hi Lennart:

> Government by definition cannot delegate. I think Steven's example proves it.

Actually, I would disagree with that opinion even though my previous post would
seem to suggest otherwise. I really don't blame government, nor do I think
government is incompetent or incapable of delegating. I think the problem is
indicative of an ageing government workforce (both state & federal) that is
retiring in droves resulting in a vacuum that simply can't be filled fast
enough to replace all the expertise that has left. Often the only recourse left
is to hire a lot of young, inexperienced scared managers and employees that
really are trying their best to tackle monsters they inherited. Inevitably,
some are going to end up making a lot of mistakes. Some mistakes are going to
be more spectacular than others. I just hope enough of these young
whippersnappers survive the education process and become experienced managers
that choose to remain within the government system. Unfortunately, once they
get edu-ficated, many just leave for the private sector when head hunters start
circling about and wave big bucks in front of them. And, of course, the vicious
cycle re-edu-fication process starts all over again. Complicating matters in
the case of Wisconsin, Scott Walker's Wisconsin Act 10 Budget repair Bill ended
up cutting hundreds of dollars ($450 of net pay in my case) out of state
employee's monthly salary - which went towards paying higher health insurance
and retirement premiums. Doing so has only made it that much harder trying to
hire a fresh new crop of state employees from the private sector.

But think positive! Government projects plus all the delegation involved can be
capable of producing miracles. NASA took us to the moon and back using 1960s
technology. There's that Internet thing, too.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

OrionWorks.com

zazzle.com/orionworks