>From Jed,

> So corporations are pretty much ruled out. They cannot do cold fusion research

> even if they want to, because it will not lead to immediate profits. Also
> because

> the stockholders and Wall Street speculators would be outraged to learn that a

> corporation is doing cold fusion.

IMO, it is conceivable that Dr. Randall Mills' Blacklight Power company may be
pushing the envelope on that matter. Over the decades BLP, a privately owned
R&D company, has managed to receive millions of dollars from rich angel
investors in order to prove they can build a new kind of technology capable of
generating energy through the exploitation of a controversial (and presumably
cheap) new energy source. The process strikes many of us on this list as being
somewhat similar to LENR. Again, I say: "Somewhat similar". Dr. Mills would
vehemently disagree there is any similarity between his hydrinos and any kind
of LENR research. Dr. Mills would then attempt to drive a stake in the heart of
all LENR research and researchers, proclaiming the community is primarily made
up of faulty researchers who are for the most part incapable of conducing
proper experiments.

Lately, I noticed there have been some members who have become brave enough to
debate LENR research over at Dr. Mills' Society of Classical Physics Yahoo
group. Needless to say, Dr. Mills does not seem particularly interested in
letting LENR debate progress too far in his discussion group. I can't really
blame him since they are supposed to focus on Classical Physics matters. I
believe there are a number of really smart cookies doing their best to
comprehend how Dr. Mills Classical Physics is supposed to work. Many of them
ask questions that involve a lot of scary-looking mathematical formulas.  I
commend their efforts.

OTOH, what did bug me was the existence of a group of cheerleaders who tended
to congratulate Dr. Mills for every new alleged breakthrough BLP claimed had
just transpired. No questions asked. The latest alleged BLP breakthrough
involved transforming SunCell Technology from a moving parts engineering
project to a brand new non-moving solid-state engineering project. If true, it
would presumably be a huge improvement.

I asked Dr. Mills if BLP would be willing to assemble some kind of a "black
box" experimental demonstration that could show everyone that the new solid
state direction BLP is taking is not just smoke and mirrors. I argued it would
help quell negative commentary from pathological skeptics if BLP could show
something new indeed was happening. I stressed it would need to be some kind of
black box demonstration that would not reveal any proprietary details. By
making such a request, repeatedly so I might add, I ended up upsetting the
cheerleading section. A few went after me for challenging Dr. Mills. One even
called my persistence "passive aggressive". To make a long story short, I was
eventually canned from the list. Despite my defrocking, I continue to bare no
ill-will towards Dr. Mills or BLP, and especially towards the moderator who
privately treated me with the upmost respect. Truth of the matter, Dr. Mills
was never under any obligation to show and/or demonstrate anything to the
peanut gallery, of which I'm a non-paying member. It is, after all, a privately
owned company.

But trying to get back to Jed's comment. Will BLP, a privately run R&D company
be able to survive the constant slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune and
eventually come to be?

I'd like to hope so. It would make a great story to tell one's grandchildren.
Only time will tell.

Regards,

Steven Vincent Johnson

OrionWorks.com